It is always necessary to train new generations ofMarxist intellectuals. They are needed both to propagandise against the dominant ideology, and to scientifically analyse the political and economic problems of the day to benefitthe oppressed.Their training has, as ever, to be carried out largely beyond the official structure of the educational system. The education system does not intend to produce Marxists, but it does provide critical students with time and access to books which they can use to educate themselves.
Such education should ideally be a collective process. Study circles should be set up who will meet weekly to discuss works that they read collectively.The groups can then go on to the stages of propaganda and conjunctural analysis.
This list was originally prepared by the editors of the Althusserian review Theoretical Practice in the 1970s. It was used by a number marxist study groups in Britain during the 70s and also provided the starting point for a number of other lists prepared by other groups. It is very comprehensive within the area of Marxist Leninist politics. It does not cover a number of areas that are now important. It is weak on political economy and weak on the theory of socialism, but that reflects the idelological state of development of the Communist movement in general of that period.
Contemporary Reading List
Althusser provides a relatively modern philosophical commentary on this position. His work is also relevant for its concept of idelological state apparatuses and their role in the constitution of the subject. The main ideological state apparatus has historically been religion, and Kautsk’s work provides an exellent analysis of the economic and political conditions giving rise to Christian ideology.
Turing’s work is central to understanding the relationship between human thought and computation. It provides some philosophical background to the ideas investigated in the section on socialist economy. This same philosophical school of materialism is continued in Dennet’sworkl.
· Engels : Ludwig Fuerbach
: The Origins of the Species. Darwin
· Plekanov: The Materialist Conception of History
· Lenin: Materialism and Empiro-Criticism
· Kautsky : Origins of Christianity
· Turing: Can a Machine Think
· Althusser : Lenin and Philosophy
· Dennet: Consciousness Explained
’s Dangerous Idea Darwin
· Marx: Wages Prices and Profit
· Marx, Capital Volume 1
· Marx, Capital Volume 3
· Farjoun and Machover - The Laws of Chaos
· Sraffa - Production of Commodities by means of Commodities
· Kalecki - Selected Essays on the Dynamics of the Capitalist Economy, 1933-1970,1971
· Jared Diamond: Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies ,
· Engels : Origin of the Family
· Aristotle: The Politics, book 1
· Marx: Critique of the Gotha Programme
· Stalin: Economic Problems of Socialism
· Nove: Economics of feasible socialism
The following 3 texts have independently arrived at a common conception of 21st century socialism based on the labour theory of value, cybernetic technology and direct democracy.
· Cockshott and Cottrell: Towards a new Socialism
· Arno Peters:, Computer Sozialismus:Gespräche mit
, 2001 Konrad Zuse, Berlin
· Dietrich: Fin del Capitalismo global. El Nuevo Proyecto Histórico Available in many languages.
The Civil War in France,
· Draper: Karl Marx´s Theory of Revolution
The State and Revolution,
The Impending Catastrophe and How to Combat it,
Analysis of the classes in Chinese Society
· Moses Finlay: Democracy Ancient and Modern
· Aristotle: The Politics, books 4,5,6